[cPanel-News] cPanel 11.25 Tech Bulletin: Updated Bandwidth Tracking Requirements

Aaron Phillips aaron at cpanel.net
Fri Oct 9 18:11:55 CDT 2009

n cPanel 11.25 we have made a few feature improvements to the
bandwidth tracking system built into WHM and cPanel. While these new
features grants you a much more accurate and granular view of client
bandwidth usage, customers with inadequately sized /var partitions may
run into issues related to partition size and disk space consumption.

It should also be noted that the creation of these files occurs during
the first upcp that results in an upgrade to 11.25 and can require
significantly more time than normal upgrades.

The notice for this change was in our release notes for 11.25 which
can be found at http://docs.cpanel.net/twiki/pub/AllDocumentation/ReleaseNotes/1125releasenotes.pdf

Change: Bandwidth graph RRD files are split off for each individual
service per domain and subdomain and stored in /var/cpanel/bandwidth/ .

Potential Issue: On some machines, depending on the partitioning
schema and the number of domains on a server, there may be a disk
space issue. This will only effect customers with large numbers of
domains and a relatively small /var/ partition, i.e., 8-10G. In these
situations, the /var/ partition may become full.

Workaround: For the time being, if you are affected by this issue, we
are suggesting the following temporary fixes.

Disabling Bandwidth Stats Generation: ‘touch /etc/rrdtooldisable ’ .
This will disable generation of the rrdfiles altogether. Removing this
file will result in the graphs being generated again.

or

Symlinking /var/cpanel/bandwidth to a partition with more space.

The below command will create a /home/bwtemp directory, copy the
contents of /var/cpanel/bandwidth to it, create a backup in /root/cp-
bandwidth-backup.tar.gz, and then symlink the old directory to the new
one where there should be more diskspace.

mkdir /home/bwtmp
tar -czvf /root/cp-bandwidth-backup.tar.gz /var/cpanel/bandwidth
mv /var/cpanel/bandwidth/* /home/bwtmp/
rm -rf /var/cpanel/bandwidth
ln -s /home/bwtmp /var/cpanel/bandwidth

If you have issues executing the fix for this change, please submit a
ticket via https://tickets.cpanel.net and we will assist you with this
fix.