[cPanel-News] Important FreeBSD & Mbox Information

Eric Gregory eric at cpanel.net
Fri Jun 20 20:43:41 CDT 2008

__________________________________
FreeBSD 4.x End of Support

cPanel support for FreeBSD 4.x will end August 1, 2008. cPanel will
not maintain binary compatibility for FreeBSD versions less than 5.x.
cPanel recommends that all affected users update to the latest
production release of FreeBSD to ensure future compatibility. If you
are unable to update to a more recent version of FreeBSD, then the
system's update preferences (WHM >> Server Configuration >> Update
Config) must be set to "Never Update" prior to the deadline.  Failure
to do so will result in complete loss of cPanel and WHM functionality.

After August 1 2008 and the end of our support for FreeBSD 4.x, you
will not receive any security updates or bug fixes.  Binaries and other
files for FreeBSD 4.x will no longer be available from cPanel's update
servers.  We therefore urge everyone currently using FreeBSD 4.x begin
transitioning to updated versions in the FreeBSD 5+ tree.

Mbox & UW IMAP End of Support

In accordance with earlier deprecation announcements of the mbox mail
storage format, cPanel will no longer support mbox as of August 1,
2008. UW IMAP server and cPanel's cppop server will no longer be
available in future builds. cPanel server owners are strongly urged to
convert any remaining mbox systems to maildir prior to August 1, 2008.
Failure to do so will result in loss of email client functionality.
As always, if you require assistance our technical team is standing by
to help.